Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Tough Mudder and FRS

This past weekend I had an amazing opportunity... I got to run the Tough Mudder again!

 I ran it last May 29th (the "Frozen Sunday") and it was so cold! 30* at the starting line, and they say 10* at the summit... All I know is that I got snowed on, and while I managed to finish it took me just around 4 hours...

This year I was determined that since it was in July that I would shoot for 3ish hours, less if I could manage it.

My best friend Alyx and I got a chance to run with the FRS running team. I was a sponsored athlete! How Cool is that?!?!?!!!!!

*** I'll try and download some photos to upload to this post later***

Even though they changed the course from last year, there were some events that were the same - though the order was completely different. When we ran on Saturday there were well over 6,000 other people (I heard as many as 7,000+)... It was hot! Alyx and I ran as much as we could, walked when we had to...

And she pushed me from mile 4 on... Because I was cramping before the 4th mile. Not sure how much of that had to do with altitude, not hydrating enough before the race, and/or because I did too many of the first hills on the balls of my feet, and not a full foot strike :)

Thank goodness for "Sharkies", water stations, bananas, and an awesome partner who wouldn't let me get away with whining.

Then on the half-pipe I got jacked up! Alyx ran and made it, with the help of a couple of guys up on the top of the half-pipe (which is the way most women were getting to the top)... I waited for her to clear, and then started sprinting my little heart out... Reached up grabbed ahold of one guy, and promptly lost my grip and slid back down. On my way I down I found a screw in the fiberglass with my right thigh - NOT something I would recommend for anyone!

Second try, I started to sprint again and some girl crossed right in front of me causing the need for me to slam on my breaks to avoid colliding with her!

Thankfully, third time was the charm and I made it up and over with the help of the guys on the top!

Finished out the race - both Alyx and I dealing with our injuries. She managed to roll her ankle pretty good right towards the end but we are both too darn stubborn to give up and quit because of a little bit of pain.

Honestly compared to our amazing Wounded Warriors who ran the event minus limbs... What is a minor scratch and ankle twisting compared to that?!

And we did it in 2:55!!!

After Saturday's race we played around, helped out at the AWESOME FRS booth, I tried to not pass out on people because the shock was trying to take over, and made some great new Tough Mudder Friends.

If you've never run this event then you have no idea the friendships you can make... There are obstacles that for me would have never been possible to complete if it weren't for the help of my fellow Tough Mudders. Which IS the point!

Alyx and I decided to be crazy and run it again Sunday, injuries and all. And I am SO glad that I didn't back out like I almost did.

In fact, it was easier the second day! I'm not sure if its because we knew the course at that point, had been up at the elevation for 24+ hours, or if it was because there were a whole lot less people on the course. We actually walked a lot more of the course the second day, or at least it felt that way... BUT I wasn't walking because my legs were cramping, I was walking because I knew there were parts that were easier to run vs. parts that I'd rather walk.

Even with the walking we still did it 2 minutes FASTER than on Saturday!!! Alyx and I were pretty sure it was because of the fact that there were less people on the course so we weren't getting stacked up on obstacles, plus if you had a good pace going up a hill/side of the Mountain you weren't getting slowed down because there were 30+ people in front of you.

I really look forward to getting to run another Tough Mudder, and if I get to do it with the FRS team I'll consider myself very lucky and blessed!

The people I met this weekend I have such a huge respect for, from the Wounded Warriors who ran despite physical limitations, the Marines who ran/worked the event, other athletes and non-athletes who participated in "Tough Mudder SoCal #2".

Thank you all for sharing your weekend with me. Thank you Alyx for pushing me past my comfort zone. Thank you everyone at FRS for rocking and setting us up with an amazing experience. Blessings to you all.

1 comment: