Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Raw Detox/Cleanse

So I made a decision while I was out in New Mexico visiting with my dad and step-mom, that once I got back to CA I was going to do a cleanse/detox of some sort. The last few months I've not been great about sticking to a healthy eating plan, now I'm not saying I was going crazy overboard but I definitely had let things creep back into my everyday eating patterns that shouldn't be there except as true "treats".

I chatted back and forth just a bit about it with Alyx, telling her I was thinking about doing a veggie/fruit cleanse, possibly raw, and definitely whole and juiced. We both at about the same moment said "RAW" and there you go. I'd committed with her to stop being lazy on what I'm putting into my body.

Friday we traveled home from NM and were picked up by my amazing neighbor and friend Lindsay and her son... I'd mentioned that I would treat them to Chick-fil-a as a thank you, plus it would let the boys get out and play for a bit in a contained area and we could catch up and chat a bit. And I got one more quality "bad" meal in... now Chick-fil-a is NOT bad... not compared to having a huge greasy burger from one of the many burger joints here in the USA, but you factor in my HUGE sweet tea, my large serving of fries with salt and dipping sauce, and my breaded and deep fried chicken strips and it by no means balances out with a salad.

Saturday morning I woke up and it was time to get started. I'd grocery shopped the night before after we got home and had a fridge bursting with fresh produce. And since then I've gone back Monday for a few items and again tonight for a few more. I have some tried and true juicing recipes that are quick and easy and that I tend to fall back on but I am trying to find new ones that bring a bit more "green"to the table. I'm not just juicing, but I have juiced every morning and mostly lunches so far these past 5 days.

Oh thats right! I'm on day 5 so far! I'd originally planned to make it to at least 3 days, and reassess from there... Mid day yesterday I about threw in the bowl. Because the thought of having mashed cauliflower sounded so darn good. But I didn't. At this point I'm shooting for 7-10 days, or until my body seems to hit a wall.

I am trying to also work out so I'm trying to be careful and aware of my body so that I'm still getting enough nutrients without compromising myself. Today at one point at the gym I did start to feel light headed, so I backed off intensity and changed what I was doing. Instead of the full "Burpee Heaven" that I was shooting for I switched it up to a "Mini-Burpee heaven" and I was ok with that.

I've stuck to either juices, or salads since I've started. With a couple of whole bananas thrown in the last two mornings so that I'm getting enough potassium so that I don't cramp out.

Fruits of choice (in moderation):
honey crisp apples
bananas
oranges
raspberries
blueberries
blackberries
avacado
lemon

Vegetables of choice (not limited in quantity)
Celery
carrots
chard
sweet potatoes
kale
yellow beets
mushrooms
sweet peppers
cucumbers
jicama
red cabbage
spinach
romain lettuce


Not all of these have been juiced, and not all have been put in salads. I kind of just go with the flow most of the time and put in what sounds good at the moment that I'm making my meal.


Todays post workout/late lunch juice consisted of, sweet potato, orange, chard, yellow beet, and ginger root. And tonights salad is, kale, spinach, red cabbage, jicama, cucumber. And yes thats a picture of me with the bowl o'salad that is the size of my head! Thank you amazing dinner!

This is honestly not for everyone... and I'm unsure how some people are able to live a completely raw lifestyle (I know usually it consists of more supplementing with raw nuts, etc) but still... I do know that there is a light at the end of this self imposed tunnel and I look forward to having some hot food when its done!

No comments:

Post a Comment