Wednesday, February 22, 2012

First Set-back

Two days into my training and I've hit my first set back. Yesterday, Tuesday (my second day), I was feeling like a CHAMP!

I benched my personal best in ^ bench press maxing out at 70lbs, considering I usually stick with just the weight bar without adding any weights, I was stoked! So I kept pushing myself on everything else for the day.

I think I strained my low back when I did my bent row w/bar. I've done them before but never with the amount of weight that I did, 65lbs. It didn't even hurt at the time. I was noticeably sore when I got done with my whole workout, but it was a whole body soreness so I just figured it was because I killed it and was at the point of muscle exhaustion.

I didn't really start to feel any pain until I had to sit in my car for an hour driving down and back to the Naval Hospital for an appointment. When I went to get out, my low back practically screamed at me.

I don't think I really damaged anything, but things are just tight and sore as hell. And then today I was supposed to do squats, plyo lunges, and single leg dead-lifts. I did a shorter version of the workout I was supposed to do, I might have managed to finish the whole circuit but I was worried about doing more damage and not being able to continue with training at all.

So I'm just frustrated with myself. I'm taking it easy today, using some heat pads, staying flat when I have the chance and relaxing in general...

Hopefully by babying it, and taking it a bit easier for the next day or two I should be back to 100% with the knowledge that I shouldn't try to push myself too hard too fast. I'm just so excited to do this competition and I want to get THERE. To the point where I can look at my body and see the changes that I've made. I feel like I have a really far way to go to get ready to be on stage.

This whole experience is putting me outside of my comfort zone, pushing my limits and testing my inner strength. I'm looking forward to it, and can't wait until I get the chance to walk across that stage.

No matter where I place in that competition, first or dead last, I'm looking forward to being able to say that "I did it!"


No comments:

Post a Comment