Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Feeling Better

About myself and about my life.

Excited that I quit my job in Irvine! Its not that it wasn't a good job, and that I wasn't learning valuable experiences there - but between the drive, the childcare, and the fact that Matthew is going back to his ridiculous schedule it just wasn't going to be worth my time and effort.

I'm getting back into the groove of life here in SoCal, the week off in NM with my dad and step-mom was amazing, but when we got back I was definitely out of my groove.

Ms. Alyx Luck wrote me up a new workout program. One that is kicking my butt EVERY day so far. But its good, I needed to be reminded that I'm not in the best shape yet - and that if I really do plan on doing a contest this summer I've got to get my behind in gear.

I've had a number of women lately ask me "How I did it?" the whole loosing 50lbs... And I find it hard to answer them because after just a couple of sentences they are already shutting down.

YES I gave up soda. Check it out, there are ZERO health benefits of drinking it. I went from drinking a minimum of 2, 12 oz cans a day to none. And its been well over 2 years. Occasionally I'll steal a sip from Matthew's, and it usually just winds up reminding me as to why I no longer drink it. The only soda I sometimes crave is a really nice Rootbeer, like Thomas Kemper... NOT A&W or something else like that.

*Why do some people have such an issue with the idea of giving up soda? I've met a number lately whose first response is... "Yeah, I just Can't give up my Diet Coke." Really?!?? Because I think you can and should.*

NO I didn't go on a diet. I made a lifestyle change. To me there is a very big difference. Because I didn't cut anything out for a temporary time period to only introduce it back into my diet. I think thats really one of the silliest things a person can do. "I'll cut out candy bars/cake/ice cream/soda/carbs/meats/whatever until I loose X amount of weight. Then I'll add it back in and wonder why I gain weight back."

One of the biggest things I did was portion control. Actually reading labels and seeing how much is a serving size, and just how many calories are in each serving. If a serving size is 2 tbsp but its only 20 calories, then I might have 2 servings. If a serving size is 3/4cup and its 250 calories then I'm only going to have 1 serving. Simple math really.

I don't deny myself anything. If I'm feeling a craving for a nasty Carl's Jr burger, then I'll get one, but its one. Just the burger, no fries, and its once every 3-4 months, not 3-4 days.

I have restricted my carbs, but not cut them out completely. The reason for this is my body seems to be very carb sensitive. Like crazy sensitive. I was in NM for 1 week visiting my dad and step-mom, between the carbs and the fats I gained 9lbs in 1 week! That and the lack of exercise. NOT good.

Which leads me into the next little bit. I exercise 5-6 days a week. Anywhere from 1-2 hours depending on what I've got planned for the day and if I'm on a tight schedule because of work. And when I say I exercise I don't mean that I go into the gym and prance on the elliptical for 20 mins with no resistance at a 4 mph pace. I kill myself. I walk out of the gym drenched in sweat. I know I don't look pretty. But then again thats not my goal.

I'm not going to the gym to look pretty there, I'm going to the gym so I can look pretty in my daily life.

:) I'm not really sure where this little rant came from. I think its just my frustration at people who refuse to make an actual change in their life and then they get upset when they aren't loosing weight. Don't say that you want to loose X number of pounds, until you really plan on doing it.

GIVE UP the soda/coffee/sweets/carbs/BOOZE and you'll see a difference. GET IN the gym. Or at least find an in home program that allows you to break a sweat, and one that you'll stick to. Take your dog for a walk. Start going on family walks with your kids. Take them to the park, go to the beach. Whatever! Just get up and get out there.

I think that will be the end of my rant for now. Hope your all having a fabulous Tuesday!

2 comments:

  1. <3 it, thanks for the shout out!
    Super proud of you and all of your hard work. Way to stay on track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally reading your blog now to help motivate myself!!! Anyway, I'm glad you're so self-motivated and awesome. (and i'm sorry about your back - hopefully it'll heal up quickly.)

    ReplyDelete