Monday, April 30, 2012

Just in case

People started reading this somewhere in the middle, and never went back to the beginning of my blogging adventure. I felt the need to do a photo update/comparison.

January/July '09. I didn't really start my journey until July, but these photos were taken in January. I was 188 lbs, and a size 14. I hated what I saw in the mirror, couldn't stand it when Matthew put his arms around my mid-section, my sex drive was zero, and my self-hatred was at an all time hight. Add in the fact that Steven was 16 months(ish) and I was getting winded trying to keep up with him in the front yard, and I realized that he was only going to get faster. I decided, partially due to a fight that Matthew and I had, and also because I decided I needed to work on loving myself again, that I needed to get back into the gym and find me again. Here are two photos of FAT Zori.



I realize they aren't the best photos, but I wasn't about to let anyone take photos of me while I was that big. I took these using the iPhoto booth app on my MacBook. There are NO other photos of me in just a sports bra, and pants from this time in my life. There aren't any bathing suit photos, and definitely no shorts.

It took me roughly a year and a half to loose a little over 50 lbs, and I did it on my own. A lifestyle change, not a diet. Paying attention to things like serving sizes, actual caloric values, and choosing to cut certain things out completely or reducing them by huge %'s. I've kept the weight off for over a year now, February was officially a year, and I just completed my first NPC Bikini Contest.

I'm blessed that I made friends with an amazing woman, Alyx Luck, who is also a personal trainer. She's competed in NPC events, the Fit category, and has trained other women who have competed. She's open, welcoming, loving, push you past the limits you thought you had, killer, amazing, vegan, tough, excited, happy, energetic, everything wrapped into one.

She worked with me a month before the Marine Corps Birthday this in 2011, I'd gained back about 10 of the 50 lbs I lost, doing the same stupid thing that everyone else does in terms of "I'm working out hard, I deserve this cheat". Except the fact that I was doing that more than once a week... And I loved my results.

A year ago I'd had a thought in passing about competing but thought that there was no way that I could actually get to that point physically - She mentioned it to me, and I mulled it over for well over a month, and then told her that yes I wanted to do it. We kept tossing the idea around, but didn't really commit to it, never actually looking for an event, until it got to the point that I decided either find one and train for it or stop discussing it. So I found one that was far enough out time frame wise to give me enough time to prep for it, and signed up.

For 8 weeks I killed myself daily at the gym. I lived on a strict diet. All with a goal in mind.

To walk across a stage, in a Bikini and heels, under a spot-light and PAY to let people judge me. Sounds crazy right?! But I did it and I loved it! I'm proud of what I accomplished. I went from 188 pounds in July '09 to waking up the morning of my competition at 126 pounds (dry, ie meaning I dehydrated for 2 days to get all the muscles to pop while on stage)



*These were taken the day after the competition, I ate Wendy's after the show along with easily 1 pound of candy. Plus the pickings from the continental breakfast at the hotel in the morning.*

Yes I realize 126lbs on my frame is small, and I have no plans on trying to maintain that weight daily - frankly I enjoy drinking water, and eating food. I plan to try and maintain my weight around 135-140 when I'm not in competition mode. AND I plan on doing this by building healthy muscle and maintaining a meal plan/workout plan that doesn't drain me in my daily life.

I'm proud of the muscle I've developed, and the leanness that I plan on maintaining. I have the ability to lift weights, and run long distances. Not everyone will understand that. I am going to be doing another competition in June, and then hopefully running the Tough Mudder again in July. Having goals and meeting them gives me such a feeling of accomplishment that I will continue to do so.



*These were taken by my friend Richie at the gym Friday morning before my competition. I'm proud of those muscles. I have goals to build certain muscle groups, some because it will help in the next competition, and some because frankly I think I'll look better.*

As to the original intent of this post, its meant as a little catch-up for those who weren't aware of my full transformation.

1 comment: