Sunday, April 10, 2011

Hair pulling

I swear I'm going to be bald before Steven turns 4.

Already we're firmly in the defiant 3 year old stage, and its wearing on me. Both Matthew and I hit our limit with the attitude numerous times a day, and we have to keep reminding each other to take a deep breath.

I can't begin to tell you the number of times he tests, pushes, and blows right past boundaries each and everyday. He's gotten this look... where he knows what he's doing isn't allowed, and yet he does it as he looks at you and smiles.

I hate being "that mom" the one who yells. But its been happening lately, I try so hard not too - but sometimes my voice is raised before the thought even fully forms in my mind.

Its hard when you see him grab something off the counter that could hurt him, like a steak knife, and he starts to run through the house with it. If I ask for it back he giggles and runs even faster away. If I chase him he thinks its a game. But if I don't all these awful scenarios play through my head in a matter of seconds as to what might happen if I don't get the knife out of his hands.

This kid has no fear. He doesn't fear heights, or more accurately he doesn't fear falling. He doesn't have a fear of mommy and daddy not being there - he runs away from us when we're out and about, like at the outlet mall a couple of weeks ago... I think its because he knows that there is no way I'm going to let him out of my sight. No matter how hard I try to stand firm and act like I'm going to walk away, I can't...

We try to redirect, or side track. We try to be aware of the words that we're using, and the tone of voice that we deliver them in. I get so tired of saying "Steven, No!"

Cody and Heather asked me a question while they were visiting with us, where did I come up with the habit of saying "Steven I love you, no you can't.... (fill in the blank)" and I told them it was because I'd gotten tired of always feeling like all I said to him was negative. This way I can remind him that I do love him, and that the reason why I'm telling him no (for what ever it is) is because its something that isn't safe, polite, or appropriate.

Yesterday Matthew took Steven to the beach while I was at work, and he told me that when they came back on base he stuck his tongue out at the gate guard. I laughed so hard when he told me, but its one of those things thats kind of a no-no when you live in a military community.

I realize that this, like most of my posts is pretty rambling and random - I type as the thoughts come to mind...

I need to jump off here and go rescue some cars from under my couch before a certain little 3 year old looses his mind and wakes the neighborhood screaming for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment