Tuesday, April 12, 2011

In Trouble Now

We are so in trouble... Steven is now to the point where if you promise him something or tell him something that you were maybe hoping he'd forget, he remembers it. And I don't mean just for 5 minutes or so, but for days.

Sunday I took Steven to the beach after giving a massage to a private client. I felt bad for Matthew, Steven had been a pill all morning while I ran to the Farmer's Market, and then again when I was with my client. So I left him at home to relax and play some CoDMW.

At the beach we had a great time playing in the surf, chasing the waves, and building things in the sand. But as with every fun day it had to come to an end. As we headed back to the car we passed a family who had stopped for milkshakes before coming to the beach to watch the sunset. Steven saw them and started asking for a milkshake.

"Momma, milkshake pees?!" started getting repeated over and over as I was trying to get him out of his wet clothes, dried off and into fresh clothes for the ride home.

So to finally be done hearing this get repeated over and over at my head I told him that if he was a good boy he could maybe get one on Tuesday after Mommy was done at the gym. That it was too late at night for him to have one now, but maybe Tuesday.

So guess what he's been asking for? A milkshake. Yesterday (Monday) he asked if we were going to the gym, and then asked for a milkshake. I had to explain to him that no we weren't going to the gym on Monday, that if he was good he could maybe have a milkshake on Tuesday after the gym. Last night he was telling me as we went to bed that after the gym he wanted a milkshake.

And this morning instead of my usual, "Momma get out of bed" that I hear at 0600, the first thing I heard this morning was "Milkshake momma, after gym."

I know that he's been learning and growing, but this just sort of cements that point. Everything we say and do makes an impression on him. And I can't make empty promises because he will remember if I promise to take him to the park, the beach, or that I promised him a treat if he does something for us.

Its amazing watching him make these connections. One day he didn't understand the concept of later, the next not only does he understand the concept, but he remembers when later is.

I've got to jump off here now, I'm getting yelled at to get ready for the gym. Someone is very impatient for momma to get her sweat on so he can get his grub on!


No comments:

Post a Comment